Roasted "Porchetta Style" Pork Butt
As Served By: Fatback Pig, Eva
- 1 (5 - 6 lb.) boneless pork butt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 5 cloves garlic, microplaned or mashed to a paste zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbs. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. fennel seed, toasted & ground
- 3/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Using a sharp knife, butterfly open the pork butt, then pound meat with a mallet until the same thickness is reached throughout the entire piece.
In a food processor (or using a mortar and pestle) combine the herbs, garlic, lemon, spices, and olive oil and pulse or mash together until a paste has formed. Rub paste over the entire piece of pork until evenly covered. Roll up the pork and tie with butcher's twine in 2-inch intervals. Refrigerate pork at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
Heat oven to 450 degrees. On a rimmed baking sheet, roast the pork for 30 minutes to sear the outside. Lower the temperature to 325 and cook for an additional hour or until the internal temperature reaches 160.
Transfer pork to a cutting board and rest for 15 minutes before slicing.